The Cat Bath Service
In addition to Louise’s maintenance grooming service, she also offers to wash and bathe cats.
Before Louise opts for a full bath she will try to remove as much of the matted problem area with professional grooming tools and maybe some splashes of water. This makes it a much more enjoyable experience for your cat!
Although most cats don’t like having baths or even going near water, Louise has the experience to bathe and wash them with no trouble. Using a calm approach the cat is slowly lifted into an empty bath and gradually showered with shampoo being applied and then rinsed off.
It is recommended to have your cat bathed if your cat:
- Is a Sphynx or one of the other hairless breeds. These cats need bathing once a week to stop them developing acne and feeling greasy to the touch. A good bath will remove any excess oils from their skin.
- Has a problem with fleas. In these cases, a bath can tackle severe infestations or any symptoms that relate to flea allergies. When a cat is too young to have flea products applied, then a bath is an effective way of removing the fleas and their eggs.
- Has the nasty fungal infection of ringworm. A medicated bath is an effective way of eradicating the problem.
- Has rolled in anything smelly, sticky or even toxic.
- Is very old, and maybe suffers from arthritis, and finds grooming themselves a struggle. The warm water of a good bath is generally appreciated in these cases.
If you want to try giving your cat a bath yourself, here are Louise’s tips:
- Use a sink instead of the bath. You will find it gives you more control over the cat.
- Avoid the use of a shower head, unless it flows very gently.
- Get some hypoallergenic cat shampoo which has been specially designed for pets.
- Ensure the water is not too hot or deep.
- Make sure your cat is dried thoroughly after the bath so there’s no possibility of catching a chill.
- Treat your cat to teach them having a bath is a positive experience.
Alternatives to bathing:
- If bathing your cat is too much to even consider then instead you can use specially formulated dry shampoos or mousses or even cleaning wipes, and a cat grooming comb and other tools to help smooth, clean and detangle the coat.
If you are interested in having your cat bathed in the Otto and Alice Mobile Grooming Studio please don’t hesitate to make contact. We’d love to hear from you. If you have any advice on bathing cats, including any alternatives you have found work, please leave a comment!